Last Friday, Ben came to Lanny and I and declared, "I'm 23 years old, and I'm giving up my paci's." He then proceeded to gather his pacifiers from his bed and handed them all to me. Okay...we'll see how this goes.
He had a hard time getting to sleep that night, but he never asked for a paci. The next night, the kids stayed with a babysitter (that is another post), and was asleep by the time we got home.
We had been talking about giving up his paci's soon, and that we would have a paci party whenever he did. So, on Sunday night, we invited his (and our) neighborhood friend over and had balloons, cupcakes, and fun. He had such a good time, and thought it was his birthday!! At one point, I busted out an old cheer, "We are proud of you, say, we are proud of you *clap *clap..." I later heard him playing with the balloons in the living room saying, "We are proud of me..."
Later that night, he ceremoniously threw his paci's in the trash (that I dug out later just in case), and of course, Lanny wanted to try to save those for Lindley (yuck!). He got a present and went to bed fairly easily.
The next morning he woke up with a fever, felt pretty rotten, and he stayed home with me that day. He never asked for his paci's. I was shocked that even when we was so sick, he didn't ask for them.
So, here we are, no paci's, and he hasn't asked for them yet. What is it like, 17 or 23 days or something, that it takes to break a habit? So, we have a few more days before then....but, for now, I'm really surprised and impressed at this development. Maybe we were somewhat justified in not forcing him...(and maybe I'll eat those words later). Who knows?
Here is a picture of Ben and his friend shooting off rocket balloons at his "party"
5 comments:
Wow--way to go Ben! That is awesome. He is so mature! :) Can he have a talk with Caleb about his thumb? We've considered amputation, but we're afraid some might think it inhumane. We're open to advice. I hope yall are doing well this week. I would love to come and visit...maybe sometime in the next couple of weeks?
Congrats, Ben! No paci even when sick - wow!
That is great for Ben! I wish that Luke had liked a paci and not his thumb since you can not throw those away. :)
That is too funny! I laughed out loud several times! Yay for Ben....if I remember right, potty training went something of the same, didn't it? He just decided to do it, and did not look back. Wonder how God will use that determination...could be a wonderful gift!
-michelle seabourn :)
the Mica Honez story is amazing. It's really amazing. HAHAHAHAHAH!
Post a Comment