Friday, May 02, 2008

Lindley Update

Lindley had her appointment with the pulmonologist this morning. We didn't get a whole lot of "news," but he did change some of her medications. He also ordered a chest x-ray, upper GI, and a repeat swallow study (the swallow study is the same thing we have done twice before which showed her aspirating milk). We will get those procedures scheduled sometime soon.

Basically, what we learned is that the fact that she "comfortably" retracts when breathing means that she has to work harder than most people to breathe normally. And, she doesn't have a whole lot of "reserve." And, since she doesn't have much reserve, she can get into respiratory trouble really quickly.

So, we are doing the upper GI to first of all, see the extent of her reflux, but more importantly so he can observe her anatomy. He thought it was possible that there could be a vessel that is compressing her airway.

The good news was that she can use inhalers with a spacer. So, we don't necessarily have to be tied down to the nebulizer machine, unless we just can't get her breathing under control.

It's so amazing how none of this seems to phase her in the least! She is just the sweetest thing...

2 comments:

Michelle said...

That sweet little girl is such a trooper....she has had to go through more testing than just about any other baby I know. I am so sorry that there are more tests to come, but I hope in the end that it leads to a "fix". I hope yall are doing good. We miss yall. We need to make plans for a June get together.

Susan said...

Missy, I am so sorry to hear about everything you are going through with Lindley. We will be praying for you all. Please keep us posted.